Thursday, February 28, 2013

Shin Splints Suck

My title says it all... they suck! I ran the 3 miles on Tuesday, yesterday I was sore but had planned to at least walk on the treadmill. That lasted all of maybe 10 minutes. So I decided to try some weights. There were a couple of muscular guys  there and I just felt so out of place. I was having to read the directions on all of the machines. I just felt like an idiot. So I left feeling defeated.

Last night, my legs were really sore. I grabbed a football to try rolling my leg (I was desperate) and it felt good but I needed something that rolled easier. I found one of son's legos. It was long and round and worked awesome! It hurt but felt great all at the same time. I might seriously consider investing in a real roller.

I was telling my husband yesterday morning that I would really like to participate in a Mud Run one day- hopefully within the next year. Fast forward a few hours and a friend that I did the Color Run with tagged me on Facebook. She found a mud run in April and wants all of us to get together and do it. It's a women's only run. Talk about timing! I'm so excited.

This morning, I woke up feeling kind of icky. My kids have been sick and I woke up with a sore throat and a cough. But, I have a mud run to prepare for so off to the gym I went. I was determined to get my 3 miles in. I stretched in the locker room before heading out to the gym. I walked for about 4 minutes as a warm up then started jogging. I was feeling great but after about 2 minutes I started getting out of breath so I tried slowing down to walk and that's when they started.... the evil shin splint! I couldn't stand to walk.. so I ran. When I ran they didn't hurt at all but I couldn't breathe. So I tried walking to catch my breath and couldn't stand the pain. I tried pausing and stretching it out then walking again and nothing helped. After a mile I had to stop.

The lady on the treadmill next to me asked if I was ok and I told her I had terrible shin splints. She said she used to get them too so she had a runner friend watch her run. The friend told her that she was looking down when she ran and had her chin almost to her chest. Once she straightened her posture and made sure she was looking straight- her shin splints disappeared.

I posted on facebook page about my problem this morning and I have had several people offer suggestions. I think I'm going to start with compression socks as well as try out some new stretches.

In the meantime, I'm trying to gather enough courage to try out a spin class at the gym. Oh.. and I've recruited my niece to hopefully run/walk a 5k with me in March that my oldest daughter is also participating in. (it will be a first for both of them!)

I'm also still working on trying to change the blog around a bit. But I think I want to change the name and I can't come up with anything cute...

Have a great Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment